Meticulously designed by Blue Sky, this chrome and gold plated piece captures the prestige, grandeur and resilience of one of the world’s toughest sporting titles. The 360-degree design features eight blade legs, representing the eight teams that will qualify for the Finals Series, arranged to provide an iconic representation of a rugby ball and evoke visual nostalgic links to the former trophy, now eternal property of the Highlanders.
The 13.5 kilogram prize features a flat base which caters for engraving and seamless expansion as more teams etch their name into Super Rugby history as champions of this prestigious competition in the coming years.
The Evolution of Super Rugby at a glance:
- Expansion to 18 teams with the addition of the Kings from South Africa and new teams from Japan (Sunwolves) and Argentina (Jaguares) which will be unveiled following the Rugby World Cup
- Australasian Group: Australian Conference (Brumbies, Force, Rebels, Reds, Waratahs), New Zealand Conference (Blues, Chiefs, Crusaders Highlanders, Hurricanes)
- South African Group: Africa Conference 1 (Bulls, Cheetahs, Stormers, Sunwolves), Africa Conference 2 (Kings, Lions, Sharks, Jaguares)
- 15 Regular Season games per team (8 home/7 away or vice-versa over a two-year cycle)
- Two byes per team
- 135 Regular Season and 7 Finals matches (up from 120 and 5 currently)
- Eight-team knockout Super Rugby Finals Series to be staged over three weeks (5 qualifiers from the Australasian Group and 3 from the South African Group)
- The four Conference winners automatically qualify for the Finals Series, along with the next three highest-ranked Australasian Group teams and the next highest-ranked South African Group team
- Super Rugby Trophy
Blue Sky set out to evolve our previous design of the Super Rugby trophy with a form that was now relevant to the broadening pool of contestants. The new design needed to maintain visual cues to our previous design and the Super Rugby legacy, whilst provide a sense of stature and newness fit for the new competition. With the essence of the design truly established a series of concepts were developed for the new design in 3D CAD.